« Home | different directions » | our voice » | Happy New Year! I hope all is well where you are ... » | what are WE missing? » | oh how time flies! i cannot believe that is is alm... » | installed! » | no room in the inn » | so...organization » | suffering and hope » | i don't really like death..... » 

Sunday, January 20, 2008 

"God Must Be Busy"

I have heard this song on the radio quite a bit lately. Yes, its true I listen to country music with some regularity. I must admit as I heard this song today driving home from worship a mix of emotions crossed over me until I ended up landing on being sad. I am saddened by the fact that so many people hear this song and many of them will take it as Gospel Truth. I am also saddened that so many people I know would agree with this suggestion- that God must be too busy to worry about me, and my issues- otherwise wouldn't I have heard something back from him? Country Music often times has some interesting theology indeed- but I would tend to agree more with Garth Brook's "Unanswered Prayers" over this one- how about you?

In the face of my sadness over the state of country music as well as the state of so many people we had our monthly healing service tonight. And I got to say...God was not to busy to be in our place obviously! Due to bad weather our numbers were pretty low (seven) yet the spirit was there in a major way. It is so amazing to see in a quiet setting the work of God, as she seemingly reaches into our world and touches us where we are at. This service has become to me one of my most anticipated monthly events and I am convinced that for the future of our church this must be a central part of our identity. From experiences like this I believe God cries out "I am not too busy...come to me you who are weary and weak, come to me and I will fill you".

So...what do we do to further the promise of God's presence in the face of a culture where so many think "God must be busy?"

Labels: ,

Sometimes the only thing we can do is pray for those we think may not feel the strength of God's love the way we do. An empty church does not necesarily mean that there are people out there who think God is too busy, but in fact might be because there are poeple out there who are busy trying to survive in this world. We do not always know the reason our brothers and sisters don't attend church and worship our God, in his house, the way we're used to doing so. For that reason God has asked us not to judge and to reach out to others; by prayers and through ministry... I think that there are a lot of people out there that are looking for just a glimmer of God, whether it be through acceptance, non-judgement, or just plain kindness from a stranger to be reminded that God is still a part of thier life!

As you know I don't really listen to country music (which has made me an outcast in this area...JK) and I was shocked to read those lyrics from B&D.

My fear is that people do believe those words, that God is too busy to worry about them. Or maybe they feel that because they are so overwhelmed with everything that is going on in the world - war, natural disasters, etc. - that they just don't have the faith to believe that God is still watching over them too, or that God is with them everywhere and in everything and instead of feeling Her presence they are unintentionally blocking her out.

I turn to Matthew 11:28. Preaching the promise that Jesus wants us to go to Him with our troubles, no matter how small they seem in the grand scheme of the world. Or if they are more scientific, go with the butterfly in Africa theory. Or if they are more movie oriented - go with the Pay It Forward theory. And definitely bring in the Unanswered Prayers theory. One small thing can affect millions. And God affects and is a part of it all, being with everyone through their trials and temptations, through their joys and excitements, helping and caring for the world whether we see it or not.

Holding that faith and living that faith, though often difficult with our sinful human nature, is important. Don't give up on God; She hasn't given up on you.

JG,

I tend to think that people resonate with this song because the words seem to be true. That is, without eyes of faith, right? I listened to the song and I thought it to be a lament Psalm. But we have, in the words of Obama, 'The Audacity of Hope'. Paz

Post a Comment