« Home | what are WE missing? » | oh how time flies! i cannot believe that is is alm... » | installed! » | no room in the inn » | so...organization » | suffering and hope » | i don't really like death..... » | Nice Article » | seeking advice » | christ is risen.....what we going to do about it? » 

Thursday, January 03, 2008 

Happy New Year! I hope all is well where you are at. I was very excited by some of the conversations that came out of the last post on here- thanks for your input to you who posted comments and also to the emails I received- it seems that while we can admit there is a problem with what the Church is doing, insomuch that it is not succeeding truly at reaching the un/de churched- there is hope because many of our leaders both lay and clergy are asking the hard questions. Perhaps this is where a change begins, with us, trying to shake things up a bit.

In search of some new energy for our efforts in extending our welcome at Advent I have been reading "I Sold My Soul on Ebay", and have not been disappointed. Mehta is an amazing writer who tells his story and the story of his journey with an awesome energy. I am not finished with the book yet, but so far am inspired by it. He points out the many flaws that the churches of Christianity have, and from his perspective as an atheist much need to change before these churches can move forward to be the communities they set out to be. He challenges the club-mentality which he experienced at the smallest and the largest churches he visited. I wonder why do we think we can get away with that kind of behavior. When did the church become about "us" and "them"? And now how do we begin to change in the minds of those who are so entrenched into that way of thinking that it is about God, and all of us- not just those of us who gather together regularly. As I read scripture, it is clear that God is present now all over and we, as believers, are called and get to share the transformed life and way that comes from our own experience in the Love of Christ. So why do so many still feel so outside- why do so many fear entering the doors of a church, and why are so many of our churches dying? We got something wrong!

Wow, I just reread what I wrote above- kind of a downer! Yet unfortunately it seems to be true across our denomination- churches are declining and struggling to reach those on the edges, heck struggling to reach those on the inside. So where is the good news? I come back to Jesus I guess- our Lord who is a Lord of the resurrection- our God who breathes life into dry bones, and pray that we too as a church, as a denomination, as Christians can embrace the new life that Christ has given us and make an effort to share that by who we are. I hold onto the hope that with those of you I know who are ministering in and out of the church change has already begun, and the future is brighter!

Lot's of rambling once again...but I am convinced the church has to change- can we do it? How?

Labels:

See, J, I didn't read the second paragraph as a downer. To me it was inspiring - yes things are wrong or at least not working in the church today, but people are seeing that and recognizing that. Things will change! It's just going to take a lot of time, patience, prayer for it to happen. And I know it will happen because there are phenomenal leaders like you out there taking these steps - these little steps - of speaking out about what isn't working instead of just shrugging and saying, "But that's what we've always done." This is a great step.

I have no answers right now, but I'm really glad you have posed the question. I will think more and hopefully have something better to contribute next time.

Much love and hugs to you and the family! Miss you!

Justin,

Good to talk to you just a few minutes ago--you're bugging me, but I pray in a good way.

I talk often with folks about how they don't have a problem with Jesus, just with the people in the church.

My thought, is that we read the Gospels, really carefully. Reading the rest of the bible is ok too, of course. I also think we should focus on relationships, and less on rules. Could we also expect God to do good things? What I mean is that we could more diligently put on eyes of faith and look at the world looking for God at work.

I am going to pick up that book, ok? It sounds really exciting.

Peace. CK

Post a Comment