« Home | No Passion in the Oscars » | Timberwolves and Theology » | For Starters » | My First Post » 

Friday, January 28, 2005 

Coffee and Conversation

This morning I journeyed out to join a friend of mine for coffee and some conversation about life and some theology. It was nice to get out in the brisk air after spending much of the week inside with Logan (my 2 year old). Don't get me wrong I love being home with him all the time but once in a while I need a little adult conversation from the oustide world. With Anna working so much it's been tough lately. The conversation this morning was great. I shared my frustration with closed-minded people who fail to see the possibility of God working in our world in ways bigger than us. E, my friend, has a great way of standing strong on the immanent sense of God that drives her passion for social justice, while balancing that with a transcendent God that provides the pulse for her faith. It made me think about what does God call us to do on this earth? Do we every truly know where God is calling us to? These questions are loudly going on inside of my mind now as I await the dreaded day of February 22 when the "higher ups" in the ELCA will tell me where I will go to do ministry. I long for this day to come simply so that I know where Anna, Logan, and I will be spending the next leg of our journey on this earth. I also long for a setting where I can be a force for social justice and advocacy. E provided refreshment this morning and for that I am greatful. I pray now that God will continue to refresh me as I await for assignment, and as I get prepared for full-time ministry. Lord, in your mercy, hear my prayer.

I was refreshed last night by the way the Spirit was active and visibly alive in the ninth graders I witnessed during their Confirmation Celebration(see my blog). I have spent most of the week frustrated by the need to find adult mentors for 27 confirmation youth but last night the Spirit was working and I think I am now more than half way to my goal. I also had the opportunity to speak with a friend who has recently read Cost of Discipleship (Bonhoeffer) and has made incredible changes in their life since then because Bonhoeffer was able to open a new door to Scripture for him and now he sees the way the Lord has been working in and on his life even when he was standing in the way. My prayer each day as February 22nd gets closer is that God is working in and through those "higher ups" who meet and that God is guiding the whole process - whether those who meet listen is another question all together. Lord grant me peace throughout the coming weeks....

"Blessed are the peacemakers!" Hopefully those representing us in Chicago will listen to those peacemakers! I see Plull and Krista to kind of serve in that capacity.

You sound like a mormon? Are you a mormon? I am a mormon! w00t for me.

Nope- not a Mormon. I am a Lutheran awaiting first-call assignment.

Post a Comment