« Home | Holy Holy Week Ramblings » | ebb and flow » | "God Must Be Busy" » | different directions » | our voice » | Happy New Year! I hope all is well where you are ... » | what are WE missing? » | oh how time flies! i cannot believe that is is alm... » | installed! » | no room in the inn » 

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 

preaching....

I have been thinking a little lately about the ministry of preaching, and specifically what is the purpose of preaching in my setting here at Advent. I was in Chicago at the ELCA offices this Monday for a conversation with nine other preachers from across the ELCA, a couple of Worship Staff from the ELCA office, and the Presiding Bishop Mark Hanson. Apparently, Bishop Hanson hopes that a Churchwide conversation regarding preaching can begin to take place- frankly he stated that there is a lot of bad preaching in the church. I was quite humbled to be there, and still not entirely sure why/how etc. I was recommended. The day was great and I took a lot back with me, but I continue to wonder what is "supposed" to happen in the event of preaching.

Today in Bible Study I asked those gathered to help me think about this a little more- and we had a wonderful conversation. Answers ranged from "make the Bible make sense to me and my life" to "challenge us to look deeper at our life and how we live out our faith with the Word as our foundation". Good stuff-and all part of it...but what else? Or is there nothing else? Anyone out there have any thoughts on this?????

Well, this all is so interesting because different folks have different expectations, right? Some love to sit through a 20 minute history lesson, and some will only listen when you are telling a good story.

I like to think of the sermon as daily bread. Bread that will last about a week. It helps me strengthen my attempts to set them free with it, and it lowers my expectations to try to fit it all in.

This is a good conversation to start! Peace

what a fascinating experience, and certainly humbling. one of the things i appreciate about bishop hanson is that he isn't afraid to call it as he sees it. there is tons of crappy preaching in our and most churches. mostly, in my humble opinion, because so many pastors are afraid to just tell it as it is. they are so worried about what they are saying they wind up saying nothing at all.

will every sermon reach everyone? no, but there is certainly better and worse efforts out there.

Post a Comment