« Home | Spring Fever » | Headed West » | And the decsion is... » | Today is THE day.... » | Remember that you are Dust » | Thursday and Sun » | Monday Bloody Monday » | The Restoration Project » | Coffee and Conversation » | No Passion in the Oscars » 

Wednesday, March 23, 2005 

good intentions

I have been meaning to blog everyday for the past two weeks and have not managed to do it...I guess I am a loser...

Perhaps the reason it has been so long since I last blogged is because really there has not been that much new and exciting going on. One exciting thing is that in 60 days I will graduate from seminary- yipee! We are also adding a new family member in about a week- we will be getting a new boxer puppy to join Riley (perhaps as much so that Logan quits acting like a dog as it is for Riley to have a playmate). Tonight, Anna and I are getting tatoos- I have two already and she one, but we thought it would be fun to both get the same one to signify this change in our lives (graduation not the dog) that lies ahead.

I am feeling even more ready to part ways with Luther as time winds down...perhaps it is because I can really start to see that I will be in Michigan soon- a very exciting adventure... or maybe its because Leland is as bitter and ready to be done as I am...or maybe its because I have finally learned everything I need to know (yeah right)...or maybe its because my son's energy is way to much for our little apartment and needs desperately a house with a yard (great idea adding a new dog to the mix)...or maybe I am ready to be done because I hav been in school for my entire life and am ready to be in the "real world".... Okay, enough with that.

What one thing do you wish clergy type people knew about you? This is a question I am going to ask 10 or so young-adults who are either new to the church, or consider themselves to be on the "edge" of the church for one of my independent studies. How would you answer that question with regards to faith, spirituality, and finally Christianity?

jg

You are not a loser, just sitting in a wait and see mode and that is kinda boring, I knew that until yesterday.

In response to your question, I wish clergy knew that I am much like Thomas the Twin - 'Doubting Thomas'. I have days when I am gang-busters in my faith and could be a zealot out there beating people with the gospel. There are days I know I have faith but am completely confused by the whole thing and wonder if it will ever make sense. Then there are days when I doubt having faith all together. Thomas experienced all of these places in life too - and Jesus was there with him. I find amazing comfort knowing Thomas was as conflicted in his faith as I am.

I would also add that I wish clergy, especially older clergy, could talk to me in non-churchy language. We get so caught up in our own vocabulary I think we push people, including some clergy and seminarians, aside because they don't share the language of our club.

Post a Comment